Irving, TX asked in Child Custody, Divorce and Family Law for Louisiana

Q: Mom in need of free or low cost legal help pertaining to unsettled matters long after divorce was finalized.

Asking for a friend. Divorced mom is unable to claim her children on her taxes or receive any type of child tax credit, although the children reside with her full time. The children’s dad has shown very little interest in the lives of his children since the divorce. He also refuses to settle any la community property they acquired during their lengthy marriage.

Due to limited funds and no legal help the louisiana court system has failed her and the children. Any guidance would be appreciated. Thank you

1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Call/contact the local and state bar association and see if they have contact information for lawyers in your area with whom she might be able to consult on a pro bono basis, or if they can provide the number for legal aid. At this point in time, it sounds like there are already judgments in place so whoever she consults would want to see/review that paperwork. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.