Sacramento, CA asked in Estate Planning for California

Q: How can I find a lost insurance policy

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rod B. Tuazon
Rod B. Tuazon
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Ventura, CA

A: Assuming you are referring to a lost life insurance policy, the answer depends on whether you are the policy owner or a beneficiary of the life insurance policy.

If you are the policy owner and you know the insurance company and the policy number (or social security number), you may simply call the toll free number and ask for a “Statement of Insurance Coverage” or any similar term issued by the insurance company in lieu of a lost or misplaced policy. The statement shows the named insured, policy number, issue date, policy owner, death benefit amount, beneficiaries, and other pertinent policy information. I must warn you that the insurance company will generally communicate only with the policy owner (usually the named insured) unless the named insured or policy owner is no longer alive.

If you are the beneficiary of a lost insurance policy, the existence of a policy is generally not a requirement to file a claim. If you know the insurance company, just call the toll free number, and ask for instructions. Procedurally, this involves filing a lost policy form with your claim, in addition to attaching the death certificate of the named insured.

If you have no idea who the insurance carrier is, you may have a tough time tracing that lost insurance policy.

Tim Akpinar agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.