Tallmadge, OH asked in DUI / DWI and Traffic Tickets for Ohio

Q: Hello. My husband got arrested tonight about a bench warrant. Back in July 2021 he got stopped for driving under suspen

He failed to appear in court for that.

I got stopped tonight while he was a passenger. They ran his s.s number and arrested him. He has had DUI's in the past 5+ yrs ago which is why his license is suspended. He owes child support too. They said in july 2021 the truck he was driving had fictitious plates but we didn't know that honestly. My uncle lent it to us to move in. We had no idea! His hearing is tomorrow at 1PM. Could he do time? The officer assured me that it was nothing to stress over and would be a misdemeanor with some fines.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Roger  Bouchard
Roger Bouchard
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: First of all, he is facing multiple DUI's, which, if occurred within 10 years of each other raises the penalties significantly. Then, the DUS, which is a blatant disregard of the law under DUI suspension is an M1 which carries a possible 180 days. Make sure he has insurance. The plates are the least of his worries, but ignorance of them being expired is no defense. That being said, there is a significant chance he will do some time, or hopefully a Driver's Intervention Program, or a split.

The arrearage on his child support would have to be high to get locked up, and if he's at least attempting to make payments he should be o.k. regarding jail time.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.