Norfolk, VA asked in Civil Rights and Constitutional Law for Virginia

Q: If the police tryna make me testify for a jury trial In I don’t want to what can I do

I dont wanna be label a snitch I don’t wanna go to court

1 Lawyer Answer
Thomas H. Roberts
Thomas H. Roberts
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Richmond, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: 1st - If your testimony may incriminate you, you have a right to plead the 5th Amendment.

2nd - Living in a society that values trials rather than summary convictions and executions puts a shared responsibility upon citizens to participate in this process. If you have relevant information you may be called as a witness and you are obligated to answer truthfully. You may refuse to do so, and the court may hold you in contempt, which may include imprisonment until you do so.

The response above is a general statement of law and is NOT intended to be legal advice to you nor does it create an attorney-client relationship which is expressly denied.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.