Oakland, CA asked in Contracts, Civil Litigation, Landlord - Tenant and Real Estate Law for California

Q: Is there anything I can do that will legally protect me and release either myself or roommate from our lease.

Hi, I live an apartment with someone else on my lease as well. This other person on my lease has been known to show violent tendencies, such as having drunk and disorderly guest at the apartment where he has involved himself into the situation to case violent scenes. He has broken apartment property, two doors in our apartment, and has physically harmed himself by repeating smacking his head on the door of our apartments garbage area. I have had two other parties witness this very aggressive behavior. I’m currently expecting a child and I fear that these violent outbursts can happen at any time. I have recently started to have trouble with him paying his portion of the bills as well and have to pick up the slack. I’ve tried to speak to him about it but it has been brushed off to the side. I feel that he purposely is running our bills up thinking I wouldn’t notice. I fear if I tell him something again this violent acts will be brought back. Is there legally anything I can do?

1 Lawyer Answer
Dale S. Gribow
Dale S. Gribow
  • Palm Desert, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: this is NOT a Domestic Violence question.

is it his baby?

it would be best answered by a Real Estate attorney with experience with Landlord Tenant issues and Restraining Orders?????.

you can give him the choice to move or stay. However, if you are on the hook for the rent and he is not going to pay you have exposure.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.