Wilsonville, OR asked in Landlord - Tenant for Oregon

Q: Can my landlord terminate my lease and give me 30 days to move out because she’s selling the house ?

I live in Portland Oregon she’s tried to accuse me of having an extra tenant which it wasn’t it was a visitor. That had just come over then she tried to say I was in violation of my puppy I got rid of my puppy the next day then she said she’s selling the condo that’s why I have to move . My lease would have been up in June I believe and then after that she said I would go from month to month until she sells the condo next year some sometime . Now it’s I have 30 days to move because she’s selling nothing about the pet that I got rid of or anything and I’ve already paid her half of next months rent

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: Assuming your rental dwelling is within the Portland city limits, and you have been there for at least a year, you have to be given at least 90 days advanced written notice and that notice cannot be issued until after the landlord has accepted an offer to buy the dwelling from a buyer who certifies that they intend to occupy the dwelling as their primary residence - and shows a copy of the purchase paperwork to the tenant. You may be entitled to recover monetary damages if the landlord violates the requirements. Consider reviewing everything with a local landlord-tenant attorney to determine your best course of action.

Katherine Goodman agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.