Spencer, IN asked in Divorce, Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Indiana

Q: My ex and I have a temp order that ends in Aug. He begged me and begged for a year to let him move back to Texas

With the kids. I broke and let him. Now with me having same job same home for yrs and he had moved 4 times and was engaged twice within a year shows me he is unstable. What are my chances if getting full custody?

1 Lawyer Answer
James A Hanson
James A Hanson
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Fort Wayne, IN
  • Licensed in Indiana

A: There is much confusion about what "custody" actually means.

If there is an active case in Indiana for either Paternity or Divorce, then any party wanting to move out of Indiana is going to have the burden of explaining why that move is in the child's best interests.

The Indiana Parenting Time Guidelines already has guidance on how "distance as a factor" could impact parenting time if one parent moves far away from the other parent.

You should consult with a local attorney as to the best strategy for you in your specific circumstances.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.