Philadelphia, PA asked in Civil Rights, Health Care Law, Small Claims and Landlord - Tenant for New Jersey

Q: Do I have legal action in New Jersey to get my neighbors to stop smoking cigarettes? It is affecting our health badly.

I am pretty desperate to find someone who can help me with my situation. I live in an apartment. I have had an issue for over a year now with my neighbors chain smoking. They recently did renovations on all of the apartments. It made it worse. They did not do a good job and my apartment is filled with smoke every day to the point where it is affecting my health and my children's health badly. We have had to leave the apartment during the day and even stay other places at night. We have air purifiers, fans and air conditioners but it does not take it away. It's to the point where the property managers are no longer returning my phone calls or responding to my emails. I contacted the company who owns the building but they do not get back to me either. I also spoke with an inspector within my township but she was not able to help me with much. I can't afford to move, nor should I have to because of my neighbor's addiction.

1 Lawyer Answer
Morris Leo Greb
Morris Leo Greb
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Rockaway, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Every lease is deemed to include the provision of quiet enjoyment. This places a obligation on the Landlord to insure that the premises are safe and not unhealthy. So if the Landlord refuses to take any action to correct the situation, consider filing suit against the Landlord for breach of contract. Speak to an attorney about this.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.