Riverside, CA asked in Workers' Compensation for California

Q: I got injured at work 4 and a half years ago and my workers comp case has finally settled. Edd wants the SDI money back.

I received a call from my attorney over a month ago saying that EDD wants to take a portion of my settlement to cover what they paid me in SDI benefits. My attorney said that I cannot be paid until this issue is resolved. It's a bummer but if I have to pay, it is what it is. My concern is, my attorney that there has been multiple attempts to contact EDD from both her and the defense attorney. How can it take over 30 days and still nobody is able to contact EDD. Meanwhile, I am the one suffering. Bills have been piling up, not to mention, I can't do the same work I did before so I need to be re-trained to do something else; I can't do this until this is resolved. What could possibly be the hold up with EDD and is there something I can do to speed things up, even if I have to call EDD myself to try and get a hold of someone.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ronald Mahurin
Ronald Mahurin
  • Workers' Compensation Lawyer
  • Point Arena, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: It's EDD, is a state agency that was overwhelmed before the Pandemic and has never caught up. At least you are not being evicted. I have a client who had everything resolved with EDD about three weeks ago, but the paperwork still has not gone through. He has until Sunday to pay five months back rent. So the problems you are experiencing with EDD are common. The only way to approach it is to be as patient as possible. Perhaps it is time that those in Sacramento who have never had to rely on EDD and supporting paying billions for all sorts of social programs are informed that things with EDD need to change. The WC court system is still using Internet Explorer, a format that is no longer supported by Microsoft. The State is paying gas subsidies and food subsidies, but have forgotten about injured workers. As for retraining, the legislature gutted it the same time it overhauled medical treatment in 2004.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.