Denham Springs, LA asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Louisiana

Q: If my name is the only one on the BC and no child support , don’t I have full custody? Cops say ex isn’t kidnapping…

My daughters father decided not to bring her back after she spent the weekend with them. I have raised her all by myself for almost 7 years no. Not a singly penny form him. He didn’t even meet her until she was almost 5! This is his 3rd time spending time with her and he refuses to bring her home. The cops told me because I called him her father I acknowledged paternity and therefore it’s not kidnapping. No one knows where my child is and he and his wife are refusing to answer the phone when the cop tried calling numerous times. I even told them he was living in another state a couple of weeks ago so I’m scared he will take her to another state and I’ll never see her again. Cops still said it wasn’t kidnapping and now I’m stuck here with no idea where my child is!!!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: You need to immediately contact, consult and then hopefully hire a child custody lawyer in your area. Discuss the specifics of your matter with the potential lawyer and come up with a game plan going forward. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.