Arlington, VA asked in Contracts and Landlord - Tenant for Virginia

Q: Can a landlord deny a physical, signed lease in preference for an electronic one?

Submitted a physical lease prior to the expiration of my previous lease and was later informed that the property manager "did not accept paper leases" so I was charged several hundred more for the next month's rent because I had been transferred to a month-to-month "automatically, because I didn't sign the lease on time."

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ross Cameron Hart
Ross Cameron Hart
  • Salem, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: That sounds like nonsense.

You may want a lawyer to help you. I would suggest a 'tenant assertion' to have the court declare that a lease exists and you are due refund/credit/lower rent payments on the lease. You would file the assertion in the General District Court for the jurisdiction in which your apartment is located. Make sure you sue the owner, not the rental agent.

But, again, consult a landlord-tenant or consumer lawyer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.