Rochester, NY asked in Immigration Law for New York

Q: How to correct an error in the Petition for Name Change?


I need to correct a Petition for Name Change by adding a patronymic name in to the former name. Document is issued by the Department of Homeland Security. I was told that they had nothing to do with the name change, the case is closed, and I need to call to the court they work with. The Court says they do not have the right to change the Petition.

I would greatly appreciate your comment. Thank you.

P.S. I am taking about the existing Petition that needs a correction to the line where my FORMER name is. My new name on the certificate of naturalization is correct.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Monica E Rottermann
Monica E Rottermann
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Santa Ana, CA

A: You would need the court to issue you a name change, they cannot actually change the name on your certificate, but you first have to obtain a name change from the state court and then once you have the judge’s order legally changing your name you would then have to file Form N-565 with the court’s order to get USCIS to change your name on your certificate.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.