Naples, FL asked in Estate Planning, Elder Law and Social Security for Florida

Q: My son’s grandmother through a codicil in her will, set up a Trust for him in January 2000. To date he has seen no $.

The executrix, his adult cousins, have repeatedly refused reasonable requests for access to those funds (for legitimate expenses) since 2014. During that year his father passed and he needed living expenses and medical services. In 2020 to present they have repeatedly refused to relinquish any monies even though he became unemployed and can only rely on his SSDI check. Since 2000 we have had no statements from the trust nor statement of original terms of trust. What can we do to access this money? My son is a disabled adult, age 45 and will need future funds when I can no longer provide for him.

1 Lawyer Answer
James W. Martin
James W. Martin pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Pinellas County, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Florida Statutes Section 736.0813 sets forth some of the information that beneficiaries of Florida trusts are entitled to receive. You can read it here: . In any event, a Florida attorney who handles trust cases should be engaged for your son to provide legal advice, including the possibility of making a demand for this information, as a first step.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.