Houston, TX asked in Contracts, Estate Planning, Real Estate Law and Construction Law for Texas

Q: What can I do??? Help

We closed on our home in April 2022. Have made two payments already! Still not living in it. Our general contractor hired a sub contractor to do our floor. Has attempted 3 times, left a razor blade in my daughters closet in the epoxy! Now is not answering calls or texts. And our general contractor is trying to make us pay even though we are already paying our monthly payment in mortgage on what he has paid the floor guy.

1 Lawyer Answer
John Cucci Jr.
John Cucci Jr. pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›

A: I can answer your question generally. But I would want to see your contract or written agreement to be sure of how to advise you.

I'm assuming that the mortgage you are paying is for a COMPLETED house. Meaning all the construction, including laying the floors, were part of your purchase and paid through the mortgage. If that is true you are in a tough spot. If the GC is working WITH the Bank who gave you the loan, then you should put your complaints in writing and send it certified mail to the GC and the Bank letting them know of the problem which you see as a MATERIAL BREACH of the contract to build the house. If you do not get a helpful response, you could ask the GC for thier Insurance company information to make a claim or hire an attorney to let the GC and the bank know that if they do not perform as per the contract, you plan on suing.

I hope it does not come to that as it would be expensive and sounds unnecessary. Good Luck!

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.