Fairborn, OH asked in Probate for Ohio

Q: Am I able to cash a check sent to my sister who's deceased?

My sister passed away unexpectedly with no will. I currently have custody of her son and the father isn't in the picture. Her car was her only possession and she had a loan on it. They repossessed the vehicle and sold it to satisfy the loan. I received a letter stating there was a negative balance (owed to the customer). I researched it and it looks like the process is to send a check for that balance. Am I able to cash this?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Aaron Epling
Aaron Epling
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Hilliard, OH
  • Licensed in Ohio

A: You will need to be appointed administrator of her estate so that you can open a bank account to deposit the check into. If the check is under $500, I wouldn't bother with it.

Mary Ellen Leslie agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.