Asked in Traffic Tickets for Pennsylvania

Q: Can a not guilty plea be entered without me submitting my citation or not guilty plea, before the 10 day period?

I was pulled over on the 10th for an expired tag, I also don't have a license and was charged with driving on a DUI suspension and recieved the citation in the mail with instructions on how to plea and my options. On the Friday the 15th I received the citation in the mail, I wasn't given anything at the site. On the 16th I got another notice from the magestrate saying they received my not guilty and I have a trial date of August 4th. My issue and question is how did a not guilty plea get entered when my response time to plea is the 20th and I still have the citation and the plea form. I did not talk to the magestrate, go there, call, or do anything at all. Also I wanted the opportunity to see the magestrate because my case doesnt need to go to big court I have suspensions for possession and I have the restoration letter from the DMV so it is a regular driving on a suspended, and I can prove it. My overall question is was my due process violated by this plea being entered without me ??

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Timothy Kraeer
Timothy Kraeer
  • Traffic Tickets Lawyer
  • Pottsville, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: If you received a citation for driving under suspension, DUI-related, the court will automatically schedule a hearing because there is mandatory prison time associated with that section. You really should consult with an attorney in your area prior to your hearing date.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.