Laurelton, NJ asked in Landlord - Tenant for New Jersey

Q: After residential holdover EVICTION, can i put in for rent again?

we lost lot of money including lost rent, property damaged left my tenant, massive cleanup, we needed to fix up the house and rent again.

Do I need to wait six month or can we just rent now? We are unable to move in to the premises at this time due to financial difficulties.

What would be the best cause to show for us to be able to re-rent our property?

Please advise.

Thank you!

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Schutz
Matthew Schutz
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Flemington, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: I have read your question and I have some of my own. First let me respond to your question. A summary action in in the landlord-tenant part only determines possession of the premises. You can't get a money judgment in that part, nor can you use the decision beyond obtaining possession of the premises.

If you want to get a money judgment against your tenant you would need to start a separate action in the Special Civil Part were Law Division of Superior Court. I would suggest that you bring the action in these parts of Superior Court prior to eviction, because you don't know where the tenant will be after you evict him or her.

Depending on the grounds of eviction, most likely you can repair and relet as soon as you are ready to do so. The only exception to this would be if you evicted the tenant based on a claim that you intend to use the premises personally. Since I don't know the basis of your eviction action, I can't say more than this.

Judging from your question, it seems you've had a very destructive tenant. It is a basis to evict if the tenant has been intentionally destructive of the premises or wantonly negligent in allowing whatever damage occurred to happen. I hope this answers your questions. Be well.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.