Macomb, IL asked in Family Law for Illinois

Q: Can I kick my soon to be 19 year old out of my house? I am the parent and she does not help pay for anything.

We live in Illinois. No written agreement for rent or anything like that. She has threatened me and is becoming more hostile and disrespectful by the day.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
James G. Ahlberg
James G. Ahlberg
  • Rochelle, IL
  • Licensed in Illinois

A: If your daughter is 19, she is legally an adult. You can kick her out of your house, but you would do well to consider the result. Does she have a place to go? With whom will she live? How will this affect your relationship with her long into the future? Sometimes a practical answer is better than a legal answer. The practical answer here is to try family counseling of some sort first.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.