Franklin, TN asked in Immigration Law for Tennessee

Q: Employment gap in transition from F1 to Green Card through marriage; and should we be worried about temp. long distance?

In 2018, I came to the US under F1 for a Bachelor’s degree. In the same year, I started dating a citizen. I finished the program in 2021, but decided that degree was a professional mistake and started another one in a different field. At the same time, due to economic hardship, my girlfriend accepted a job in another state. It’s been a long distance relationship since. I’m almost halfway through that second degree. We want to get married + move in together very soon, then apply for the Green Card around the end of the program to qualify for the 10-year one. But I’m worried the adjustment of status lining up with the conclusion of the program would create a resume/employment gap, between then and receiving the work authorization. Should I expect a major employment gap in this situation? Are there notable red flags in our story (currently long distance, 2nd degree…) to be aware of?

I understand there are a lot of moving parts in this one, we’re looking for an attorney.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Yohan Zingile
Yohan Zingile
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Bradenton, FL

A: A marriage based green card is not related to the employment issues. If you seek to get a visa or green card through employment this maybe different.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.