Edgewater, FL asked in Adoption and Child Custody for Florida

Q: Hello, my husband and i were given legal guardianship. It is only notarized. How do i know if it is through the court?

The biological mother was in and out of jail throughout the minor childs life. The grandparents were given guardianship, since then the mother has passed , the minor child has lived with us 5 years now. Her parental father has been incarcerated her whole life. He got over a 40 year sentence. Now he has hired a lawyer, well his sister hired im assuming. To find out his rights. How do i protect our daughter? Im pretty sure the documents are from the court. Cause the mother tried to get child support. The parental father was court order DNA test. Still never paid after his knowledge of 99.9 percent the father. He is not on birth certificate and now 13 years of no contact, feels his half sister that found him in prison when their father died. They did not even each other. Now guess she has the money to hire him a lawyer and he still has more then 4 years of his time to serve. She will be almost 18 by the time he walks a free man. Im pretty sure my documents are through the court.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Rand Scott Lieber
Rand Scott Lieber pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: You need to look at whatever documents gave you guardianship. This is a specialized area of law. You should look for a consultation with a local attorney that does dependency. In general, the legal standard that the court follows is what is in the best interests of the child. It sounds like you are the only parents that the child has ever known which should work in your favor.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.