Brooksville, FL asked in Employment Law and Employment Discrimination for Florida

Q: I work for a church in the state of FL. Is the church permitted to terminate my employment based on my marriage status?

I have been employed with this organization for eight years, have always provided excellent delivery. My boss recently found out I had an affair, at that time I was given specific stipulations for continued employment based on the understanding that the moral code of the church had been broken when I participated in an affair. One of those stipulation is that I must be actively pursuing, and participate in the outlined stipulations as defined to me, a healthy marriage. Leaving my husband or not completing any of these stipulations (counseling etc) will result in immediate termination.

1 Lawyer Answer
Charles M.  Baron
Charles M. Baron
  • Employment Law Lawyer
  • Hollywood, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: Under Section 760.10 of the Fla. Civil Rights Act, it is generally unlawful to terminate an employee based on marital status (for example, if someone decides to get a divorce); however, the law exempts religious institutions as follows: "This section shall not apply to any religious corporation, association, educational institution, or society which conditions opportunities in the area of employment or public accommodation to members of that religious corporation, association, educational institution, or society or to persons who subscribe to its tenets or beliefs. This section shall not prohibit a religious corporation, association, educational institution, or society from giving preference in employment to individuals of a particular religion to perform work connected with the carrying on by such corporations, associations, educational institutions, or societies of its various activities."

Therefore, the church likely can get away with the "our-way-or-the-highway" conditions imposed upon you. To be in a more fair working environment, you may want see if someone at the church is willing to give you a good letter of reference and then seek employment elsewhere.

Bruce Alexander Minnick agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.