Rathdrum, ID asked in Landlord - Tenant for Oregon

Q: My wife and I are representing our son who is currently unable to manage his affairs.

He requested for us to terminate his lease and move him out.

Landlord stated we needed a POA. Our son has not been able to issue us a POA.

We have access to his portal at the landlords website, and paid his rent through their portal.

Is a POA mandatory to terminate our sons lease for him?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Gregory L Abbott
Gregory L Abbott
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Portland, OR
  • Licensed in Oregon

A: The landlord has a right to insist upon proof of authority if someone else wants to terminate your son's lease. I am unclear as to his status, but presumably he originally signed the lease. If he has capacity to sign his name still, and understands what he is doing (which seems likely if he is requesting that you terminate the lease), then you can just draft the letter for him to sign and serve on the landlord. Or you can go the POA route if you wish - it, of course, may be helpful in other future situations. Or if things are anticipated to be relatively permanent, it may be that having a court appoint you as his Guardian and/or Conservator makes sense. All this said, I am unclear what the landlord thinks he is going to do. If your son simply moves out and breaks his lease, he may owe an early termination penalty under the terms of the lease (or be liable for continuing rent and costs until it is re-rented) but that would be the same whether he provides notice or you do...unless he is on a month to month tenancy. Then 30 days prior written notice from the tenant is required. Technically, he could sign using an "X" and have it witnessed. Rarely done anymore these days but still lawful. Of course if he can't sign his name for any reason, then you are not likely to be able to produce a valid Power of Attorney either. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.