Trenton, NJ asked in Landlord - Tenant for New Jersey

Q: How do I find help if I think I was illegally evicted in NJ.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Matthew Schutz
Matthew Schutz
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Flemington, NJ
  • Licensed in New Jersey

A: Generally speaking the only way you can be evicted in New Jersey is by a court officer after an eviction hearing. Self help evictions (i.e. the landlord locking you out) are illegal. It is both the civil and criminal violation. If you need help getting back into your unit, you can either talk to an attorney or the local courthouse in your County and the clerk there should have the forms you need to fill out.

Note that this is not in your municipality but in the county seat of that particular County. For example if you were in Hunterdon County you would need to go to the Superior Court in Flemington. In Essex County you would need to go to the Superior Court in Newark. In Camden County you would need to go to the Camden County Justice complex in Camden.

Morris Leo Greb agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.