Washington, DC asked in Estate Planning, Family Law, Elder Law and Probate for Puerto Rico

Q: how do I get a copy of my grandfather's will in puerto rico

he died and everyone said he left money for all his grand children, but my mother wont share a copy of the will. People are saying she stole my inheritence.

1 Lawyer Answer
Rafael  Pagan-Colon
Rafael Pagan-Colon
  • Probate Lawyer
  • San Juan, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: I'm assuming that your grandfather died in Puerto Rico and that he granted his Last Will & Testament in Puerto Rico. As such, the first step would be to procure a copy of his death certificate from the Demographics Registry. With the certificate in hand, a request for certification would be made to the Testament Registry of the Office of Notary Inspections. Once the Registry identifies the will's deed poll number and the notary before whom we granted the will, we would proceed to determine whether the notary is still active. If so, a request for a certified copy of the will can be made. Should the notary be deceased, the request would be made to the municipal notary archive from the town where the notary practiced law. Once you have a copy of the will in hand, the grandchildren would need to determine how to request your shares from your mother. The final option would be to present your case before a court of law, to request distribution and liquidation of the hereditary community.

Jose M. Rivera Santos agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.