Denver, CO asked in Family Law and Gaming for Michigan

Q: Is there anything i can do to compel my father to either let me find or have him find my binders of pokemon cards?

When i was a minor, i collected Pokémon cards, some were gifts from a variety of family/friends, some I got by trading to friends as well as buying them at yard sales or at the store, with money i earned. He doesn't dispute they belong to me. About 6 years ago my dad bought a new house and my 3 binders of cards ended up there in a rubbermaid container.that container is now in a spare bedroom at his new house which is filled with identical Rubbermaid containers, Floor to ceiling. He refuses to look for the them which in itself isn't unreasonable as he works long hours (12 hour days 7 days a week except every 3 weeks or so he'll take 2 days off and have me work at his house) But I've offered to be dropped early or stay late to look myself and to take my time and make sure each box is back how i found it before opening a next. Is there a way i can compel him to return my very valuable cards. I'm worried about their value collapsing in this uncertain market +potential damage occurring

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Zamzow
Michael Zamzow
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Sometimes a practical solution is best. You could offer to split the proceeds of any sale with your father. If you give him an estimate of value, he might change his mind about storing something so valuable.

If he only has three binders, and if they are particularly valuable (a quick google search reveals they could be worth nothing to tens of thousands of dollars), then maybe it's not so extreme to sue for return of the binders. If he has floor to ceiling rubbermaid containers with your OTHER worthless childhood things, the end result of a lawsuit might be that your father will no longer store your childhood things.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.