Houston, TX asked in Criminal Law, Family Law, Domestic Violence and Libel & Slander for Tennessee

Q: My ex filed a bogus temporary protective order for “stalking” however I haven’t been served, will it just fall off?

She took our child and moved out of state for another guy. In desperate need of wanting a single bit of information or form of contact, I reached out to her family members, friends, and I emailed her as well. Yes we have exchanged mean argumentative emails however I just wanted to know the whereabouts of my son. The only reason I know there is a Temp protective order (filed in TN) is because she sent me a photo of of the document. And a deputy has left a note on my door and by now that 15 day order is expired. So I’m just wondering what happens, does it fall off? I want to keep a clean record. I have also read that after this stage, these orders of protection, when violated can lead to some very serious criminal punishment and I know deep in my heart, I don’t belong in that category. I can’t believe she was even able to file this and the way I see it, if I can just avoid spending time money and stress in traveling out of state for a bogus allegation, That would be preferred.

1 Lawyer Answer
Cayley Turrin
Cayley Turrin
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Franklin, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: It won't fall off I highly suggest handling it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.