Palm Coast, FL asked in Estate Planning, Foreclosure, Civil Litigation and Probate for Florida

Q: How can someone in jail start probate process without representation?

I have a friend whose father passed away with no will. The son did not complete the probate process and is currently incarcerated in Volusia county jail. The fathers house is in preforeclosure right now, mediation scheduled for Oct 2022. The house/land is appraised at 300K+ and about 130K is owed on the mortgage.

1 Lawyer Answer
Heather Printz
Heather Printz
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Macungie, PA

A: In some states, the person can sign a form that can transfer that responsibility to someone else. Is there someone else the friend trusts to complete this? Depending on the resources available within the jail, it may be difficult to complete some of the tasks required.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.