Asked in Immigration Law for New York

Q: I am an American living abroad with non-American spouse. I have no job, but 13.5 K in the bank. How to get wife over?

We screwed up everything. We married in Ohio while she was on her tourist visa and applied for a green card. She left a month later because of work troubles and I went with her. We told our last lawyer to cancel the forms. I have not worked in 5 months, but she makes enough for both of us, (She is a professor and a scientist, I swear to god I am not lying). I miss home but don't want to leave her. We applied to go to Canada for express entry, but I want a backup plan to get back to Ohio if that doesn't work. How do I get home and take my wife with me?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Carl Shusterman
Carl Shusterman
  • Immigration Law Lawyer
  • Los Angeles, CA

A: You can sponsor your wife for a green card even though you are living abroad.

The process begins when the US citizen spouse submits a visa petition to the USCIS.

Once the I-130 is approved, the foreign-born spouse will receive a packet from the US National Visa Center (NVC). The packet will list various documents which must be submitted to the NVC (e.g., passport, police clearances, results of medical examinations, etc.). The packet also includes certain forms which must be completed. A check for filing fees is required. Usually, the foreign-born spouse is interviewed and granted an immigrant visa within a few months of your submission of the required documents to the NVC.

For more information, please see

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.