Fort Myers, FL asked in Criminal Law and Appeals / Appellate Law for Florida

Q: I went to trial for a case and got two hung jury’s during the trial in the process of trial the jury asked for

A lesser charge because the victims statement changed drastically and added more then what was originally said in the confession the judge responded no the outcome was another hung jury after that question I went home and was mailed another hearing letter to start the case completely over I hired an attorney he failed to show in court I was arrested for his failure to appear and he quit so I had no respresentation to put motions to suppress or motion to dismiss after first trial of same case they amended the charge and added the failure to appear as a felony and count added to the original was told I was not allowed to go to trial separately but then they came back with signed papers to do so and gave me time served on the failure to appear just to force me to trial because my original judge wasn’t in and also because I had no attorney I plead no content I was never read my rights I was never aware of another offer I told judge that the public defender failed to give me any info

1 Lawyer Answer
Keith Upson
Keith Upson
  • Appeals & Appellate Lawyer
  • Naples, FL
  • Licensed in Florida

A: There are many competent criminal appellate and post-conviction attorneys in Florida who will give you a free consultation if you reach out and ask.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.