Q: What to file If I don't agree with judges order and need a continuence to find new attorney for an examination hearing

Was sued for breaking a 2yr rental contract. 3 months into the new rental with exgirlfriend, i was told by police that I could not return to the property because of( arguing with exgirlfriend). She stay in rental for a year then abandoned it. I missed court so the judge said I owe 30,000. I'm a 100% disabled vet and just recieved a letter for an examination hearing for non payment. What can I do in order to have it continued so I can hire an attorney? Ive Already contacted opposing attorney and they will not agree to continue.

1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Criminal Law Lawyer
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: You do not mention when your court date is, however, you need to go about hiring an attorney between now and then. If you are able to hire an attorney before then, then he (ad you) will decide whether or not to seek a continuance. If you do not think you will be able to hire an attorney before your court date, then you need to file on behalf of yourself a motion to continue the court date. if you believe you are unable to afford an attorney, then call the local or state bar association and/or your local legal aid and see if one of those organizations can provide you some assistance and/or guidance. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.