Tucson, AZ asked in Family Law for Arizona

Q: My ex stopped paying child support/benefits when our child turned 18 in 2016. She was in college 2016-2020.Does he owe?

He did not pay while she was in college. I was very ill and eventually disabled and on disability. I did not have the mental capability of addressing the issue real time. Our divorce decree indicated that he was to pay her medical, dental and child support. He canceled her benefits and did not tell me. I found out when our child was hospitalized and the financial department made me aware. Can this be addressed now or did I miss the window of opportunity?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen M Vincent
Stephen M Vincent
  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: In almost all cases, a parent's obligation to pay child support ends when the child turns 18 and graduates high school. At that time, the parent also is no longer legally responsible to pay for the child's medical and dental insurance. Parents in Arizona are not required to pay for a child while the child is in college.

Based on the facts you've presented here, you do not have a case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.