Phoenix, AZ asked in Child Support for Arizona

Q: Can a non custodial parent be charged child support in two different states? Can a felon be granted child support?

Custodial parent and child live in Florida and last year established child support in AZ. There is no indication that the state of FL is responsible for the petition. It only has the custodial parents name on it. And it says NO TANF. Non custodial parent is paying two states currently on child support order.. same case same child.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Stephen M Vincent
Stephen M Vincent
  • Scottsdale, AZ
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: There should only be one state that issues the actual child support order. The state that issued it first has continuing, exclusive jurisdiction to modify child support under A.R.S. § 25-1225. That state hangs onto continuing, exclusive jurisdiction to modify child support until both parents and the child have moved out of state. That means no other state can issue a new child support order while either parent or the child lives in that state.

However, another state can enforce the other state's child support order.

If you have two different child support amounts you're expected to pay, you need to file to get that clarified, most likely in the state that issued the second order.

Finally, yes, a felon can be granted child support. Their criminal history is irrelevant to the issue of child support.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.