Livonia, MI asked in Family Law, Child Custody and Child Support for Michigan

Q: Is it illegal for my husband's ex-wife to collect child support if their son no longer lives with her?

My stepson was kicked out by his mother. He now lives with his grandma and he is 17. His mom didn't notify friend of the court about this information, and my husband is still having child support removed from his paycheck. Is it illegal for her to collect this money when he isn't living there? and how do we go about getting it cut off from her or transferred directly to the child?

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: Child support is for the child, but I can appreciate the frustration. What matters, though, is that the child is not living with you and your husband right now. Should the grandma obtained guardianship, for instance, your husband would still have a child support obligation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.