Gulfport, MS asked in Child Custody and Family Law for Mississippi

Q: Me and my boyfriend have had his granddaughter since the day she was born, no support

His daughter was pregnant her boyfriend was in jail it wasn't his he said he will not raise it so she asked us to raise it as ours when the baby was born she gave us a signed nerdrise document stating we had sole custody of her and was responsible for her well being because he's not had the money to get legal papers we do this every year she's four the mother lives in Florida we live in Mississippi there's no support she's been around her, for maybe a total of 6 months her whole life now she's mad and said she wants to come and take her to give her to her mother can I get her for abandonment, she has four other children her husband does not have job and they're homeless, she was in Mississippi but she left because DHS come looking for her because she hit the baby with a belt and left a mark the child does not want to be around her at all I am her mommy and my boyfriend is her dad

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
Melissa L Gardner-Ardoin
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Olive Branch, MS
  • Licensed in Mississippi

A: Without a court order, she would be able to take the child if law enforcement will help her take the child from you. That is a big if because most will not get involved in these matters. You should immediately file an action in the chancery court of the county where you live, alleging that she abandoned the child and that the father is unknown, and ask the court for an order giving you custody.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.