Portland, OR asked in Probate and Estate Planning for California

Q: My sister is a trustee in CA and with the sale of my mothers home she refuses to distribute the proceeds.

She wrote the trust and now refuses to abide be the terms. Home sold for 830k. Rental proceeds were also never distributed per trust terms. Best way to proceed?

BTW Riverside DA is investigating.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Adam T. Carralejo
Adam T. Carralejo
  • Probate Lawyer
  • Santa Barbara, CA
  • Licensed in California

A: She wrote the trust? Is she an attorney?

The best way to proceed is to hire an attorney to freeze any accounts before the money is gone. Do not trust the DA to do anything - typically law enforcement will designate is a 'civil matter' and decline to prosecute or even investigate it.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.