Henrico, VA asked in Landlord - Tenant for Virginia

Q: In Virginia how does one stop a landlord from passing on normal ware and tare expenses?

The lease says the resident shall pay for causing damage. Unethically, the landlord is passing on normal ware and tare expenses to their tenant. Without any contractual basis or notice the landlord added a $50 fee to the rent for repairing the refrigerator. Also, they did not provide an invoice for the rent payment - easy to figure out why.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Jennifer Alettia French
Jennifer Alettia French
  • Landlord Tenant Lawyer
  • Roanoke, VA
  • Licensed in Virginia

A: It depends on how the lease agreement is worded. Usually residential leases are for a specific period of time (a year is standard) with the rent remaining the same for that year. The landlord can not change the rent midlease unless the lease allows for it to be unilaterally changed during the term of the lease. If it was a one time charge for damage there should be a separate invoice for that which you can try and challenge in court. I recommend having a consult with an attorney who can review your specific lease agreement and situation.

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.