Plymouth, MI asked in Child Custody and Civil Litigation for Michigan

Q: I believe I have as good a case against another individual as ever existed. Why will no attorneys take it?

How do I find an attorney more interested in law than collections?

1 Lawyer Answer
Brent T. Geers
Brent T. Geers
  • Grand Rapids, MI
  • Licensed in Michigan

A: The short answer is that you're biased...and it's perfectly normal to be biased to your own matters.

I assume you are not an attorney. You're looking at the matter like any other person would: "I feel like I was wronged in some way, shape, or form". An attorney looks at it from a legal AND business perspective: under what law or theory were you wronged, and what's the remedy for that wrong.

Lots of people have gripes...legitimate ones even. Relatively few have gripes that are actionable under law; and if they are actionable, the remedy is simply not substantial. The legal profession is a business, and principles cost money. Now, if you're willing to pay that cost despite the outcome, you will find an attorney to work with you so long as there is a legal argument to be made.

Your question was tagged "child custody". There are burdens of proofs that must be plead and met in order to advance a case. And those cases are always fact-dependent. It's possible that you may be right on a fact that simply is not of sufficient consequence to an attorney experienced in family law.

Because law is a business, believe me: if you have money, but multiple attorneys are telling you no, there is a reason. You may be right about what the issue is, and you may not agree with what the law says about your facts, but you really ought to listen to those attorneys you've talked to, and seriously question any attorney who offers contrary advise.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.