Warsaw, NC asked in Divorce for South Carolina

Q: I've been married for 3 years and its turned into a verbally abusive relationship

I retired 2 years ago from a career I had for 36 years ,I used the proceeds that I earned prior to the marriage to purchase a home and have used proceeds prior to marriage to make home improvements , she hasn't worked in 2 years ,although she is capable. I receive a considerable pension along with SSDI. When the topic of divorce comes up she tells me to leave and the house belongs to her and I will be paying her alimony .Im looking for a attorney that could guide me through South Carolina divorce law ,Again this has been a verbally abusive relationship as she says via texts I'm pathetic !

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Megan Hunt Dell
Megan Hunt Dell
  • Charleston, SC
  • Licensed in South Carolina

A: The question that a Family Court judge will need to answer is whether the home you purchased before marriage has been "transmuted" to marital property. The analysis on that issue is very fact-intensive. If your pension was accrued before the marriage, then she may not be entitled to any portion of that either. Based only on the information you've provided, it's not possible to offer an opinion on you liability for paying alimony. You should consult with a lawyer who is experienced with equitable apportionment (specifically transmutation) and alimony cases.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.