Asked in Civil Litigation and Small Claims for Missouri

Q: My ex mother-in-law is threatening to sue me, can she do this?

I said to her I would give her this amount of money which is coming from an inheritance I was given. I decided not to give it to her. Now she is threatening to take it to court, and to pay her a lot more than what she asked for.

Now, I did use her car for many years and usually paid her. There were times I couldn't. Can she sue me for the times when I did not pay her car payment (I would give her the money to pay the car payment in full each month except times I couldnt).

1 Lawyer Answer
Ronald J. Eisenberg
Ronald J. Eisenberg
  • Chesterfield, MO
  • Licensed in Missouri

A: She can sue you if she pays the filing fee. Whether she will prevails depends upon many factors. As the plaintiff she will be the burden of proof. She'll need to establish the essential elements of her claim. For example, in a suit for breach of contact she'd need to show that there was "consideration," i.e., something of value given in exchange for an alleged promise to pay.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.