Charlotte, NC asked in Estate Planning, Family Law and Real Estate Law for Louisiana

Q: Ok my fiancee's parents died in a car wreck 2 yrs ago she just finished to get rn license in Florida and I'm in Louisian

I was contacted by lawyer saying he needed a Sworn Affidavit of Oath of Kinship proceeded saying something about Georgia which I'm assuming that's where he is and needed 400 and something dollars. I said I needed some legal documentation and his response was

Sir any documentation wont be sent to you until the Affidavit fees is paid for, I have to get all documentation from the Court as soon as every procedure is done ✔️.

As soon as you make the payment of the Affidavit, the copy will be sent to you to fill out and sign your part as the beneficiary.

The first document you need is the Affidavit as the beneficiary name which will be written in a statement that you are the right husband to the inheritance claim and as soon as all necessary procedures is done your account details we be needed for making the transfer payment into any account you provide on your behalf.

1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: Sounds like a scam to me, and or you are not entitled to anything. Or this is one of the services which supposedly finds unclaimed money and seeks to locate the rightful recipient of the money for a finder's fee---that said, they usually do not require money up front-----if you believe there may be some legitimacy to this, then I recommend that you contact a lawyer in your area to contact the person calling you. Until you determine it's legit, I would not send any personal information or money. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.