Santa Ana, CA asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Arizona

Q: At what point will a judge enter a default judgment due to inability to serve?

My ex has been hostile and withholding her new physical address from me but all information she has provided constitutes custodial kidnapping. Tonight I received a text after requesting the address that I could have it once she was provided with information she wants (there is a clause in the custody order starting I have to be provided a new address within 10 days of her move). The move itself constitutes custodial kidnapping as it violated the portion of the order regarding moving more than 100 miles requiring a signed court order. I just had to request more time for service due to not having the address. would that text be enough for a judge to enter a default judgment in my favor?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Mike Branum
Mike Branum
  • Saint George, UT
  • Licensed in Arizona

A: No, you do not yet have enough to seek a default judgment. Your next step is to request alternative service. I highly encourage you to find a qualified family law attorney in the jurisdiction where your child custody order was entered to assist you in this process.

Stephen M Vincent agrees with this answer

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.