Asked in Landlord - Tenant for North Carolina

Q: In 2021 I filed a writ of possession with the Lincolnton County NC courts. Having my tenant evicted in 11/2021. Due to

non payment of rent totaling $4650. What legal steps do I have to take in NC in order to collect the past due rent, $4650, they owe me ? Am I correct in saying that I need to know their current home address in order to pursue these legal steps ? I have thier phone numbers, email addresses, and social media info, but not thier home address.

Thank you in advance for your assistance,

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Ben Corcoran
Ben Corcoran
  • Yadkinville, NC
  • Licensed in North Carolina

A: When you get a final court order, it will likely contain a judgment against your tenant for the amount owed. If they are living in a different county, you will need to transfer that judgment to the new county.

With that being said, the overwhelming majority of tenant judgments never get paid, and the landlord never sees any money from former tenants.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.