Gonzales, LA asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Louisiana

Q: What can we do about a biomom who constantly takes the other parent's time?

My husband is the domiciliary parent. Kids go with biomom every other weekend during school and every other week over the summer. Last time we went to court was in 2018. Last judgement was that biomom was still under supervised visitation, however, our attorney at the time advised us to let them start going with out supervision bc she started getting better. Her situation did improve and her lifestyle is much better as far as we know. However she is still very spiteful and does not respect the custody agreement. One instance, she took one of our weekends and allowed our 7th grade daughter to attend a highschool dance without our knowledge and dress inappropriately. This last instance, the kids are supposed to be with her and she allowed someone else, her family friend, to take our daughter out of state for a week again without my husband's knowledge. Is there anything that can be done because biomom does this constantly. Thank you.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: If the biomom is not abiding by the judgment in place then take her back to Court ask that she be found in contempt. That said, depending on all of the circumstances, biomom might also seek modification of the current judgment. I would contact a custody lawyer in your area and/or the attorney who handled the judgment in effect and consult with the pros and cons of each scenario. Good luck.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.