West Monroe, LA asked in Family Law and Child Custody for Louisiana

Q: How do I know if my ex husband still has parental rights to our son?

My ex-husband has been incarcerated for 8 years and hasn’t helped raise or financially support our child. Does he still have parental rights? Can I ask him to give up his rights?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Randy Bryan Ligh
Randy Bryan Ligh
  • Divorce Lawyer
  • Baton Rouge, LA
  • Licensed in Louisiana

A: You really should set up an appointment and speak to a child custody or family law attorney about this process and the pros and cons of terminating his rights. In answer to your questions, you ex still have parental rights unless they have been judicially terminated----if he seeks to exercise any rights you do have the right as parent to seek a judicial order restricting his rights, or even termination (if criteria exist). Yes, you can ask him to give up his rights. Again, contact a child custody or family lawyer in your area and have a sit down conversation/consultation.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.