Franklin, KY asked in Consumer Law and White Collar Crime for Tennessee

Q: Can we report our boat as stollen since we have not been paid for it? Can I Sue the dealership?

My husband and I own a boat that we decided to sell. We put it on a lot for a dealership to sell for us. The deal was that the boat would not leave the lot until paid for. We also agree that the dealerships would take $500 for selling it. We got a call from the dealership about 12 days ago saying they sold the boat. The dealership has not paid us yet. We called today and the sales man was a jerk. I don’t know if he is just typically a jerk or if he was in a mood. Anyways I wanted to know why I haven’t had a call telling me to pick up my money. He admitted they were paid and said he needed to call the bank to see what was going on and would call me back. He didn’t call back! Is there a certain time frame that the dealership has to pay us? Can we report our boat as stollen since we have not been paid for it? Can I Sue the dealership? I would like to hire an attorney to sue them if that’s possible? What can I Sue them for?

1 Lawyer Answer
Anthony M. Avery
Anthony M. Avery pro label Lawyers, want to be a Justia Connect Pro too? Learn more ›
  • White Collar Crime Lawyer
  • Knoxville, TN
  • Licensed in Tennessee

A: Probably a Civil Warrant in General Sessions Court for Breach of Contract or Conversion. Hire a TN attorney.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.