North Bergen, NJ asked in Estate Planning and Probate for Pennsylvania

Q: If my sister and I inherited our father's house, how should I go about having a new deed created?

We Plan on living in the house for at least the next 2 years. The recorder of deeds aid that we need to get a new deed created and that any title company can do it. About how much does this whole process cost? I know there is an $83 recording fee. And what is required or needed to create a new deed?

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Michael Cherewka
Michael Cherewka
  • Estate Planning Lawyer
  • Wormleysburg, PA
  • Licensed in Pennsylvania

A: You indicate that you inherited the house. How you inherited it will determine if the process is simple or a bit more complicated. If your father's Deed was joint deed with you and your sister (Joint with Right of Survivorship) it may be as simple as filing a PA Inheritance Tax Return to pay that tax on the value of the house (usually the assessed value) and then a new Deed (usually $250 to $350 to prepare a new Deed).

If the Deed is only in your father's name, you and your sister will have to probate his Will (or if no Will open an estate administration) and that will be more complicated, take longer and be more expensive.

You should consult with an experienced estate attorney to help you work through this.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.