Schwenksville, PA asked in Bankruptcy for Pennsylvania

Q: Pertaining to the crypto company celsius and their bankruptcy filing - Am I subject to claw back?

I withdrew funds that I deposited in the 90 day window prior to Celsius filing for chapter 11. Would I be subject to a claw back of my own funds that I deposited and withdrew according to their terms of service?

Edit: It was in their earn account that I earned interest on. Small amount of money - crypto worth less than 5k at the time of withdraw. I had the funds in there for over a year and added to them incrementally throughout that year. I never took a loan from them it was strictly in there to earn interest as they marketed themselves as a bank alternative.

Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Cristina M. Lipan
Cristina M. Lipan
  • Bankruptcy Lawyer
  • Wantagh, NY

A: Preferences under Section 547 of the Bankruptcy Code only pertain to payments made on account of antecedent debt - this doesn't apply to your situation. However, there may be other theories available to seek return of those funds to the Celsius estate, for example, as a fraudulent conveyance (although MAYBE there's an argument, it would be a stretch). There may be more facts that could be relevant to potential liability. However, it does not appear this is a case where "clawback" would be pursued.

Timothy Denison agrees with this answer

1 user found this answer helpful

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.