Seattle, WA asked in Family Law, Estate Planning and Probate for South Carolina

Q: My father left me all his belongings in his Will. How do I get his stuff from his girlfriends house, car etc legally.

I live in Tacoma, WA. His car, photos, police memorabilia and belongings are at his girlfriends house in which he stayed. She is not cooperating with me Getting his stuff although I am the sole beneficiary in his will. They weren’t married. I have the Will but, I want to get the stuff with no problems. My sister could go over but, I don’t want her to get hurt. What should I do? Go over with law enforcement and warrant?

1 Lawyer Answer
Erik Špila
Erik Špila

A: Dear Mrs or Mr,

at first I would like to note that I am not able to answer this from the exact point of view of your jurisdiction. So I will be telling a general legal advice and how I would proceed in your case.

In my country there is a special type of action that can be filed to the court so the court can order the owner of the house to release these items into your possession. If the home owner does not obbey this order he can be fined and the execution may occur.

So the best thing you can do now is look for an attorney in your city who can help you with this.

I wish you best of luck with your case.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.