Asked in Contracts and Energy, Oil and Gas for Puerto Rico

Q: If I sign a lease agreement in Puerto Rico for reusable energy for 25 years and I die does the lease agreement stops?

I want to know if my family are obligated to continue paying my lease agreement if I die in Puerto Rico. Property is not involved. Energy service.

1 Lawyer Answer
Rafael  Pagan-Colon
Rafael Pagan-Colon
  • San Juan, PR
  • Licensed in Puerto Rico

A: As a general rule, when a person dies, his/her estate is made up of that person's assets and outstanding obligations (liabilities). As contracts go, usually, the death of one of the subscribing parties terminates the contract. Nevertheless, the lease contract should be revised to determine whether a provision exists for successors and heirs; in which case, those of your heirs that accept their inheritance of your estate would assume the obligations for the lease agreement (maybe). It comes down to determine what the contract's termination clause states.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.