Bloomfield, CT asked in Family Law for Connecticut

Q: What are my options regarding a car that my ex-husband technically owns but has been promised to me in our divorce?

This is really a two-part question. I found a GPS tracking device on my car, and I think my ex-husband put it there. Technically, he still owns the car, although as part of our divorce settlement, he’s to continue paying off the loan (which is in his name) and then turn the title over to me once it’s paid off. Our divorce was finalized 2.5 years ago and he has yet to add me to the registration, which he has been ordered to do. This brings me to my questions. 1) I’m assuming it’s legal for him to put the tracking device on my car since he technically owns it; however isn’t this an invasion of my privacy, and is there anything I can do about it? 2) Can I take him back to court for contempt for not adding me to the registration yet?


Related Topics:
1 Lawyer Answer
Linda Ann Subbloie
Linda Ann Subbloie
  • New Haven, CT
  • Licensed in Connecticut

A: 1) No, it's not legal for him to put a tracking device on your car.

2) Yes, you can.

I would file a motion and request an order prohibiting him from tracking you and a request that he be held in contempt for not putting you on the registration.

Justia Ask a Lawyer is a forum for consumers to get answers to basic legal questions. Any information sent through Justia Ask a Lawyer is not secure and is done so on a non-confidential basis only.

The use of this website to ask questions or receive answers does not create an attorney–client relationship between you and Justia, or between you and any attorney who receives your information or responds to your questions, nor is it intended to create such a relationship. Additionally, no responses on this forum constitute legal advice, which must be tailored to the specific circumstances of each case. You should not act upon information provided in Justia Ask a Lawyer without seeking professional counsel from an attorney admitted or authorized to practice in your jurisdiction. Justia assumes no responsibility to any person who relies on information contained on or received through this site and disclaims all liability in respect to such information.

Justia cannot guarantee that the information on this website (including any legal information provided by an attorney through this service) is accurate, complete, or up-to-date. While we intend to make every attempt to keep the information on this site current, the owners of and contributors to this site make no claims, promises or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness or adequacy of the information contained in or linked to from this site.